Thursday, February 21, 2013

Petals and Thorns

On Wednesday nights our team meets together for dinner, a time of processing what's going on, and some prayer time. We went around and shared our highs/lows from the day/week, except we titled them petals and thorns.  I have been here about two weeks now so I thought I would share with you some petals and thorns from the time I've had here so far, mostly petals, but I would be lying if there weren't a few thorns.  Everyone here has been incredibly welcoming and kind, but adjusting to a new culture and even a new language takes time! 

Petals

  • I'm living in a wonderful apartment with sweet roommates, they have made the transition so much easier!
  • There is public transportation, and I can walk or take the bus/metro anywhere- I love this!
  • The fruits and veggies here are so yummy, they are much fresher than at home
  • We have a neighborhood farmer's market on Monday mornings, and it's wonderful
  • All the girls  that we have met on campus/coffee shops have been so friendly and welcoming
  • People enjoying spending time with one another, and no one ever seems like they are in a rush, people value each other.
  • Everyone here drinks hot tea, I even got it at the concession stand at the movie theater.
  • Although I am in a city, life here is simpler in a lot of ways. I love simplicity.
  • We had a valentine's party for some of our friends last week and it ended in a Beyonce dance party. So great.
  • There are more coffee shops than I could count.
  • I have been able to Skype with lots of people- very encouraging!
  • I met with a girl on Monday who is a believer and it was so sweet to be able to talk to her as a sister. 
  • Walking weekly where Paul walked and did ministry
  • Having to rely on the Lord in a physical way almost daily
  • Reading a Severe Mercy- go read it now if you haven't! 
  • Getting lost yesterday while adventuring and finding a Starbucks with a cute patio- you can take the girl out of America....
Thorns
  • The language barrier, feeling helpless at times
  • Twinges of homesickness
  • Miss Fellowship Bible and being able to worship in English.
  • Hot showers! We have hot water for about 6 minutes...and then boom- finish your shower super quick!
  •  No central Heat- it's not that  cold here, but our apartment can be pretty cold at night. Praise Him for Patagonia fleeces and smartwool socks- not just for camping. 
Like I said, mostly petals, and the thorns aren't too thorny. 

Thankful for gratitude, which turns everything we have into enough. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh sweet hannah!!! I am vicariously living through your adventures and cannot wait to hear what the Lord has for you in the next couple months!!!!!! Let's skype this weekend?! You're a gift, thankful for your courage!!!

    ReplyDelete